The NEW Program Achieve curricula (Primary) contains lessons that teach attitudes, values/character strengths and social-emotional skills for success, relationships and wellbeing as well as for overcoming social-emotional blockers.
A scope and sequence have been developed based on this framework covering eight lessons for each of four terms across years 1 to 6 (192 lessons).
The 32 lessons at each year level are organised to be delivered across four terms and cover the following topics:
1. Achievement: Work Confidence (growth mindset), Persistence, Organisation and Teamwork
2. Relationships: Values, Character Strengths and Getting Along Skills
3. Well-being. Resilience and Happiness (awareness, self-management, ABCs of emotions, cognitive restructuring, mindfulness) and
4. Social-Emotional Blockers: awareness and management of anger, not paying attention, procrastination, worry, feeling down.
Program Achieve has been recognised by the Australian government’s KidsMatter Mental Health and Wellbeing initiative as being a ‘best practice’ program meeting all essential criteria including evidence from research of effectiveness.
Lessons have been created based on the following framework.
Each social-emotional learning lesson addresses one or more aspects of the ACARA national curriculum's Personal and Social Capabilities.
The New Program Achieve curriculum has been written by 10 highly experienced teachers in social and emotional learning, along with Professor Michael Bernard.
Each lesson begins with a statement of Learning Intentions and Success Criteria followed by a lesson plan that includes the following elements:
1. Engage student
2. Share learning intentions and success criteria
3. Explicit teaching
4. Student activities
5. Students demonstrate success criteria and reflect
6. Weekly goal setting challenge
7. Coaching Points for the Week
This program is available online with teachers accessing digital lessons and being able to download Teacher Guides and Student Worksheets and a set of five hand puppets featured in the YCDI! Early Childhood Program Achieve (2nd Edition): Connie Confidence, Pete Persistence, Oscar Organisation, Gabby Get Along, Ricky Resilience